Squirrel Exterminators in Montreal and across Quebec
For over a decade, Elite Pest Control has been setting the standard for pest control in Montreal and throughout Quebec. All this experience means that we know pest behaviors inside and out! Even now, we continue to build on our knowledge and improve our squirrel extermination methods.
When faced with an infestation of any size, you can rely on our certified pest management technicians to devise an effective strategy for permanently removing these unwelcome pests from your environment.
Do you think you have a squirrel infestation? Take action now! Contact our squirrel extermination team, and benefit from high-quality pest control services 24/7.
Advanced extermination techniques
Choose our proven squirrel extermination methods to permanently eradicate these rodents from your property.
Professional expertise at your service
Trust our certified technicians to provide high-quality, eco-friendly squirrel extermination services.
We take action immediately, day or night
Our team is ready to respond 24/7 with efficient, top-quality pest control techniques.
Contact our experts
Squirrels fact sheet
Despite their charming appearance, squirrels are wild animals and need to be treated accordingly if they pose a threat to your well-being. The first step is to identify them correctly.
Squirrels: Traits and signs
- Traits: Squirrels have furry coats that vary in colour from gray to brown, sometimes with reddish tints. They have bushy tails and can weigh between 250 and 500 g. Their ears are pointed and their size varies according to species.
- Signs a squirrel is present: Nests in trees or attics, scratching noises, signs of tampering with stored food, damage to flowerbeds and garden plots, etc.
General information about squirrels
- Family: Squirrels are members of the Sciuridae family. They are small rodents, and mammals.
- Lifespan: Squirrels can live for up to 12 years in the wild, although the average lifespan is often shorter.
- Diet: Mainly herbivorous, squirrels feed on nuts, seeds, fruit, buds and sometimes insects.
Squirrels of Quebec
- Grey squirrel: This is the most common squirrel species in Quebec, and can be found in many cities including Longueuil, Trois-Rivières, Laval and Repentigny.
- Red squirrel: Smaller than its gray cousin, this squirrel species is also found throughout Quebec, especially in forests and wooded areas.
- Other species: Although less common, other species such as the northern flying squirrel can also be found within Quebec.
Squirrel habits and behaviors
- Sociability: Squirrels are generally solitary animals, except during the mating season.
- Gestation: Females can give birth to 2 or 3 litters a year, with 2 to 5 young per litter.
- Health risks: Although generally harmless, squirrels can sometimes cause property damage or carry ticks that can transmit diseases such as Lyme disease.
Why intervene quickly when squirrels are active on your property?
For some people, squirrels contribute to the rustic, natural charm of an area. For others, these small animals can cause concern, especially when they get too close to one’s home.
Either way, it’s undeniable that squirrels can cause problems if they settle in or around your building. In these cases, remember that you can turn to our squirrel exterminators for help!
Disturbances caused by squirrels
Whether by seeking refuge, building a nest or storing food, squirrels can cause significant damage to your property.
Damage from nibbling
Squirrels use their sharp teeth to chew on a variety of materials, either to gain access to parts of your building or to get at food. They can damage cables and wood structures, and even chew through other types of building materials.
In some cases, the damage caused by squirrels is purely aesthetic, but keep in mind that it can also lead to more serious problems, such as short circuits.
Damage from nesting
Rodents like squirrels often seek a warm, safe place to nest, especially during the winter months. They may enter attics, lofts or other areas of your home.
Once they have found an appealing nesting spot, squirrels will use all available materials, even insulation, to build their nests. Over time, this can lead to structural damage. Fortunately, we also offer pest insulation services as needed!
Consumption of stored food
Squirrels are also constantly on the lookout for food. They can get into storage spaces and either eat or contaminate stored food. You should act quickly if you’ve noticed squirrel activity in your food storage areas, to prevent further losses and keep your supplies safe.
If squirrels are causing you this type of trouble, we recommend asking a Montreal exterminator to effectively manage the infestation.
How to tell if there are squirrels in your home
By recognizing the presence of squirrels in your home, you can deal with an intrusion quickly and avoid major damage. The experts at Elite Pest Control recommend that you watch for the following signs (which can be observed at any time, but squirrels are particularly active during the day):
- Scratching sounds or marks in walls, attics or little-used closets
- Abnormal pipe vibrations
- Noises behind your stove, refrigerator, cold room or food storage
- Black, greasy streaks along the walls
- Gnawed and chewed objects, such as power cables
- Chewed food packaging
- Traces of excrement along the walls and under the kitchen sink
If you notice any of these signs, or suspect that squirrels have moved in, our team of squirrel exterminators is here to help! As members of the Canadian Pest Management Association and the National Pest Management Association, our technicians are active in the Greater Montreal area and throughout the province of Quebec.
Need help dealing with squirrels in your home?
Elite Pest Control is available to help you anywhere in Quebec! Fast service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
How to get rid of squirrels
The presence of squirrels in and around your home can cause unexpected inconveniences. It’s important crucial to detect squirrel activity early on, so you can take appropriate action. But keep in mind that not all extermination methods are equal, and some can even be dangerous if used incorrectly. As pest management specialists, we recommend using squirrel traps or repellents with caution.
You may find that your efforts don’t produce the desired results. If you’d like the help of professional pest management technicians, we’re here to help. You can trust us to implement proven, environmentally friendly methods to identify, capture and keep squirrels away for good.
Squirrels are agile, determined little creatures that will resourcefully find ways to enter your home. Preventive measures are very important to limit the risk of intrusion.
Regularly inspect the exterior of your home for potential entry points (cracks, openings, nearby tree branches, etc.) and block them with appropriate materials. Make sure that your food supplies are well protected and that your attic or basement is tidy.
Squirrel repellents and traps
Catch and release traps, natural repellents, ultrasonic pest repellers – there are many ways to keep squirrels away. However, these methods need to be used correctly to remain effective and avoid the risk of harming your family and pets.
If you’re facing a persistent infestation, amateur methods may not be enough. Our professionals can offer the benefits of specialized equipment and proven strategies for managing squirrels.
After dealing with a squirrel infestation, affected areas should be cleaned and disinfected. Damaged property should be repaired and any animal residue should be thoroughly cleaned.
At Elite Pest Control, we offer a complete sanitation service to guarantee a healthy environment following an infestation. We are licensed by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) to do all types of work related to protecting your home from squirrels and cleaning up afterwards.
Elite Pest Control: your partner for squirrel extermination
Have you detected squirrel activity in your building, or are you looking for information on pest management services or rates? Check out Elite Pest Control!
Our team of experts provides custom extermination services according to your unique pest control needs. Contact us today to benefit from an efficient, professional intervention.