Think there are mice in the house, and aren’t sure how to deal with them? If so, you came to the right place!
As pest control specialists with over 10 years of experience, we offer a professional mouse extermination service that has helped many people across Quebec. In this article, we explain the best way to solve infestation problems from beginning to end, with the same procedures that we use.
How to know if there are mice in your house
Of all ruthless rodents, the mouse is the worst. It takes a lot to get them out of the house since they are as small as they are vicious. Just when you think you are rid of them, they come back stronger and more determined than ever.
Here are the two main indicators that will help you figure out if there are mice in the house:
- Noise in the building: Mice are very discreet, especially at night. You may hear them scratching, walking or even squealing in the walls and ceilings.
- Droppings or traces of urine: Mice unintentionally leave clues and let you know where they’ve been. The main clue is the droppings they leave around the stove or kitchen sink.
How mice get into your home
Mice are usually found in buildings during winter for shelter from the cold and to feed themselves. Their agility, light weight and small size allows them to sneak around at lightning speed, especially at night.
The smallest hole is perfect for these rodents and they have many ways to enter:
- Using pathways a few millimetres wide, such as electric wires
- Climbing any vertical surface no matter the material
- Getting in and out of pipes and ducts
- Getting to different building floors by following electrical and evacuation lines
- Gnawing material to make holes and get inside
- Sneaking through openings as narrow as a quarter
- Jumping up to half a meter in height to pass over an obstacle
4 important steps to dealing with mice in the house
Here are the steps to follow carefully in chronological order when dealing with mice and other rodents in your home:
- Prevention to limit infestation and related damages
- Mouse extermination
- Caulking to prevent them from coming back
- Decontamination to prevent disease
These are usually the same steps that our pest control specialists follow. Visit our Contact page if you want us to hire us for the job.
1. Prevention and implementation of proper measures
There are preventative measure you can implement before reaching the point where extermination is required. You may think the damage is done, but it is never too late to implement some of these methods. A single mouse will cause much less damage and can be removed much more easily than an entire family.
Pest control prevention is especially useful to avoid damages caused by mice. Proper preventative measures are quick and easy to implement.
2. Extermination to get rid of rodents
If they’ve gotten comfortable in your home, only high quality extermination will effectively get rid of mice. You must understand the source of the problem and which tools to use. Our professionals can protect your home from unwanted pests to give you peace of mind.
3. Caulking to prevent the reappearance of rodents
Caulking is a process to seal holes and keep mice and rats outside your home. When done properly, caulking can completely block access to your home, making it as important as extermination. Make sure you are precise when applying caulk since ineffective caulking will not keep pests out.
Contact our home sealing and caulking services to make sure that this step is done properly. We can give you advice and get involved if necessary to make your home an impenetrable fortress.
4. Pest decontamination to sanitize the area
Pest extermination and caulking is only part of the work done by our pest control services. Although the rodent infestation may seem like a distant memory, the problem is not necessarily solved. Home decontamination is the final step.
The lingering smell can attract other rodents. Mice are known to be carriers of parasites, bacteria, viruses and diseases and can harbour other insects, such as fleas and bed bugs. Places infested by mice may still be contaminated and at risk of spreading diseases to your family.
Decontamination therefore has a dual purpose: eliminating lingering odours and protecting your health.
Contact Quebec’s best exterminators
As you may have guessed, implementing these steps can be complicated, yet getting rid of mice in your house for good depends on them.
Elite Pest Control’s professional exterminators will work hard to give you the peace of mind you deserve. Contact us for any infestations, especially mice!